Kwun Wah Wen, MD, PhD
Pathology, Box 0102
505 Parnassus Avenue, Room M551
San Francisco, CA 94143
My clinical activities focus on liver/gastrointestinal surgical pathology and hematopathology. My research interests are in liver/GI/pancreatobiliary pathology and lymphoma/leukemia.
- Guney E, Lucas CG, Qi Z, Yu J, Zhang R, Ohgami RS, Rubenstein JL, Boué DR, Schafernak KT, Wertheim GB, Dahiya S, Giulino-Roth L, Attarbaschi A, Barth MJ, Kothari S, Abla O, Cohen AL, Mendez JS, Bollen AW, Perry A, Tihan T, Pekmezci M, Solomon DA, Wen KW. A genetically distinct pediatric subtype of primary CNS large B-cell lymphoma is associated with favorable clinical outcome. Blood Adv. 2022 Feb 14:bloodadvances.2021006018.
- Neumann NM, Wen KW. Myelodysplastic/myeloproliferative neoplasm with ring sideroblasts, thrombocytosis, and mutated JAK2/SF3B1 without anemia. Blood. 2022 Jan 20;139(3):466.
- Wen KW, Wang L, Menke JR, Damania B. Cancers associated with human gammaherpesviruses. FEBS J. 2021 Sep 18.
- Wen KW, Joseph NM, Srivastava A, Saunders TA, Jain D, Rank J, Feely M, Zarrinpar A, Al Diffalha S, Shyn PB, Graham RP, Drage MG, Kakar S. Inhibin-positive hepatic carcinoma: proposal for a solid-tubulocystic variant of intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma. Hum Pathol. 2021 Oct;116:82-93.
- Lauw MIS, Lucas CG, Ohgami RS, Wen KW. Primary Central Nervous System Lymphomas: A Diagnostic Overview of Key Histomorphologic, Immunophenotypic, and Genetic Features. Diagnostics (Basel). 2020 Dec 11;10(12):E1076. doi: 10.3390/diagnostics10121076.
- Wen KW*, Fakhri B*, Menke J, Ruiz-Cordero R, Gill RM, Ohgami RS. Complexities in the diagnosis of large B-cell lymphomas, classic Hodgkin lymphomas and overlapping peripheral T-cell lymphomas simplified: An evidence-based guide. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2020;46:151534. * shared authorship
- Wen KW, Rabinovitch PS, Wang D, Mattis AN, Ferrell LD, Choi WT. Utility of DNA flow cytometry in distinguishing between malignant and benign intrahepatic biliary lesions. Virchows Arch. 2020;10.1007/s00428-020-02812-w.
- Wen KW, Umetsu SE, Goldblum JR, Gill RM, Kim GE, Joseph NM, Rabinovitch PS, Kakar S, Lauwers GY, Choi WT. DNA flow cytometric and interobserver study of crypt cell atypia in inflammatory bowel disease. Histopathology. 2019 Oct;75(4):578-588. doi: 10.1111/his.13923.
- Wen KW, Kim GE, Rabinovitch PS, Wang D, Mattis AN, Choi WT. Diagnosis, risk stratification, and management of ampullary dysplasia by DNA flow cytometric analysis of paraffin-embedded tissue. Mod Pathol. 2019 Sep;32(9):1291-1302. doi: 10.1038/s41379-019-0272-2.
- Wen KW, Rabinovitch PS, Wang D, Huang D, Mattis AN, Choi WT. Utility of DNA Flow Cytometric Analysis of Paraffin-Embedded Tissue in the Risk Stratification and Management of "Indefinite for Dysplasia" in Patients with Inflammatory Bowel Disease. J Crohns Colitis. 2018 Nov 13. doi: 10.1093/ecco-jcc/jjy193.
- Wen KW, Rabinovitch PS, Huang D, Mattis AN, Lauwers GY, Choi WT. Use of DNA flow cytometry in the diagnosis, risk stratification, and management of gastric epithelial dysplasia. Mod Pathol. 2018 Oct;31(10):1578-1587.
- Wen KW, Grenert JP, Joseph NM, Shafizadeh N, Huang A, Hosseini M, and Kakar S. Genomic profile of appendiceal goblet cell carcinoid is distinct compared to appendiceal neuroendocrine tumor and conventional adenocarcinoma. Hum Pathol. 2018 Jul;77:166-174.
- Bhavanasi D*, Wen KW*, Liu X, Vergez F, Danet-Desnoyers G, Carroll M, Huang J, and Klein PS. Signaling mechanisms that regulate ex vivo survival of human acute myeloid leukemia initiating cells. Blood Cancer J. 2017 Nov 30;7(12):636. * shared authorship
- Wen KW and Gill RM. Immature Terminal Deoxynucleotidyl Transferase Positive B Cells are Detected in a Subset of Adult and Pediatric Liver Biopsies. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2017 Sep 29. doi: 10.1097/PAI.
- Wen KW, Hale G, Shafizadeh N, Hosseini M, Huang A, Kakar S. Appendiceal goblet cell carcinoid: common errors in staging and clinical interpretation with a proposal for an improved terminology. Hum Pathol. 2017 Jul;65:187-193.
- 2017 - Best Abstract Award, International Association of Chinese Pathologists
- 2017 - Arthur Purdy Stout Stipend Award
- 2018 - Best Abstract Award (2nd place in platform), Chinese American Pathologists Association
- 2018 - Best Abstract Award (runner up), Rodger C. Haggitt Gastrointestinal Pathology Society
- 2019 - F. Stephen Vogel Award, United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology