Linda Ferrell, MD
Pathology, Box 0102
505 Parnassus Avenue, Suite M-590
San Francisco, CA 94143
UCSF Cancer Center
My interests are primarily liver pathology, with emphasis on liver tumors, particularly well-differentiated hepatocellular tumors (including hepatocellular adenoma variants and focal nodular hyperplasia) and vascular lesions. I have also been involved with the NASH CRN study of fatty liver (NIDDK/NIH consortium), and my studies on liver pathology in recurrent hepatitis C after transplantation and on the diagnosis of dysplastic nodules have been recognized internationally as leading papers on these topics. I also continue to be involved in evaluations and reviews of benign liver tumors in coordination with a international group of liver pathologists. Our current ongoing studies include characterizations of staining patterns in HCC, hepatocellular adenoma variants, focal nodular hyperplasia-like lesions, and vascular tumors and malformations in the liver.
- Kakar S and Ferrell L. Glutamine synthetase staining and CTTNB1 mutation in hepatocellular adenomas. Hepatol, Dec;66(6):2092-2093, 2017
- Joseph NM, Brunt EM, Marginean C, Nalbantoglu I, Snover DC, Thung SN, Yeh MM, Umetsu S, Ferrell LD, Gill RM. Frequent GNAQ and GNA14 mutations in hepatic small vessel neoplasm. Amer J Surg Pathol, Sep;42(9):1201-1207, 2018.
- International Liver Pathology Study Group. Acute-on-Chronic liver failure (ACLF) 2018: A need for (urgent) liver biopsy? Expert Review of Gastroenterology & Hepatol Jun;12(6):565-573, 2018.
- International Liver Pathology Study Group. Histology of portal vascular changes associated with idiopathic non-cirrhotic portal hypertension: nomenclature and definition. Histopathology, 74, 2019-226, 2019.
- Joseph N, Tsokos C, Umetsu S, Shain A, Kelley R, Onodera C, Bowman S, Talevich E, Ferrell L, Kakar S, and Krings G. Genomic profiling of combined hepatocellular -cholangiocarcinoma reveals similar genetics to hepatocellular carcinoma. J Pathol. 2019 Jun;248(2):164-178.
- Joseph N, Umetsu S, Shafizadeh N, Ferrell L, and Kakar S. Genomic profiling of well-differentiated hepatocellular neoplasms with diffuse glutamine synthetase staining reveals similar genetics across the adenoma to carcinoma spectrum. Mod Pathol, Nov;32(11):1627-1636, 2019.
- Putra J, Ferrell L, Gouw A, Paradis V, Rishi A, Sempoux C, Thung S, Balabaud C, Bioulac-Sage P. Malignant Transformation of Liver Fatty Acid Binding Protein-Deficient Heaptocellular Adenomas: Histopathologic specturm of a rare phenomenon, Mod Pathol, Apr;33(4):665-675, 2020.
- Sala M, Gonzales D, Leste-Lasserre T, et al. Argininosuccinate synthase 1 as a marker of sonic hedgehog hepatocellular adenomas, recommendations for clinical use. Hepatol Commun. Apr 11;4(6):809-824, 2020.
- Fels-Elliott DR, Ferrell L, Kakar S, and Gill R. Clinicopathological features and outcomes of parenchymal rejection in liver transplant biopsies, Histopathology May;76(6):822-31, 2020.
- Burt AD, Ferrell LD, Hubscher S, eds. MacSween's Pathology of the Liver, 7th Ed, 2018, and 8th edition in preparation for 2022, Elsevier, London.
- International Liver Pathology Study Group member, 1990-2017, Emerita 2018-20
- Co-Editor, Pathology of the Liver, Burt AD lead editor, 5th- 7th edition, 8th Edition in preparation for 2022
- UCSF teaching awards, 10 total, for resident and medical student teaching
- Numerous invited lectureships and visiting professorships
- 1992 Alpha Omega Alpha, awarded by UCSF Medical School
- 2008 Gold Headed Cane Award, awarded by UCSF Medical School
- 2008-09 Hans Popper Hepatopathology President
- 2012-13 President of US and Canadian Academy of Pathology
- 2015 Mostofi Award for service to US and Canadian Academy of Pathology
- 2015 Retirement Liver Symposium and Gala Dinner
- 2016 Harvey Goldman Master Teacher Award, US and Canadian Academy of Pathology
- 2017 Arthur Purdy Stout Pathology Society Presidents Award for embodying the qualities of Dr Stout as a practitioner, scholar, teacher, and mentor
- 2019 Fred W. Stewart Memorial Sloan Kettering Award
- 2020 Distinguished Pathologist Award, US and Canadian Academy of Pathology
- 2020 Listed for 20 years as Best Doctor by Castle Connolly