Abul K. Abbas, MBBS
Pathology, Box 0511
513 Parnassus Avenue, Room HSW-450A
San Francisco, CA 94143
My research has been focused on immunological tolerance and autoimmunity. Using transgenic and knockout mice, my laboratory explored the mechanisms that maintain tolerance to tissue and systemic self-antigens, and the conditions that lead to the breakdown of self-tolerance and the development of autoimmunity.
- Villarino A, Katzman SD, Gallo E, Miller O, Jiang S, McManus MT and Abbas AK. Posttranscriptional silencing of effector cytokine mRNA underlies the anergic phenotype of self-reactive T cells. Immunity 28:50-60, 2011.
- Rosenblum MD, Gratz IK, Paw JS, Lee K, Marshak-Rothstein A and Abbas AK. Response to self antigen imprints regulatory memory in tissues. Nature 180:538-42, 2011.
- Klatzmann D, Abbas AK. The promise of low-dose interleukin-2 therapy for autoimmune and inflammatory diseases. Nat Rev Immunol 15:283-94, 2015.
- Rosenblum MD, Way SS, Abbas AK. Regulatory T cell memory. Nat Rev Immunol 16:90-101, 2016.
- Ali N, Sanchez-Rodriguez R, Zirak B, Pauli M, Truong H, Lai K, Ahn R, Corbin K, Lowe MM, Scharschmidt TC, Taravati K, Tan MR, Ricardo-Gonzalez RR, Nosbaum A, Bertolini M, Liao W, Nestle FO, Paus R, Cotsarelis G, Abbas AK, Rosenblum MD. Regulatory T cells in skin facilitate epithelial stem cell generation. Cell, in press, 2017.
- Abbas AK, Lichtman AH, Pillai S. CELLULAR AND MOLECULAR IMMUNOLOGY. Elsevier, Philadelphia. 10th edition, 2021. (1st edition published in 1991)
- Abbas AK, Lichtman AH, Pillai S. BASIC IMMUNOLOGY: Functions and Disorders of the Immune System. Elsevier, Philadelphia. 6th edition, 2019. (1st edition published in 2001)
- Kumar V, Abbas AK, Aster J. ROBBINS & COTRAN PATHOLOGIC BASIS OF DISEASE. Elsevier, Philadelphia. 10th edition, 2020.
- Kumar V, Abbas AK, Aster JC. ROBBINS BASIC PATHOLOGY. Elsevier, Philadelphia. 10th edition, 2017.
- Kumar V, Abbas AK, Aster JC, Deyrup A. ROBBINS ESSENTIAL PATHOLOGY. Elsevier, Philadelphia. 1st edition, 2020.
- 1968 Nuffield Scholar, University of Leeds Medical School, Leeds, England
- 1969 Institute Gold Medal, All-India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
- 1987 Warner-Lambert/Parke-Davis Award, American Association of Pathologists
- 1988 Irving M. London Teaching Award, Harvard-MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology
- 1994 Harvard Medical School Faculty Prize for Excellence in Teaching, Harvard Medical School
- 1994-04 NIH MERIT Award, NIH
- 2002 Member, Institute of Medicine, National Academy of Sciences
- 2003-04 President, American Society of Investigative Pathology
- 2007 Rous-Whipple Award, American Society of Investigative Pathology
- 2002, 2008, 2010 Distinguished Teaching Award, Outstanding Lecture Series, UCSF School of Medicine
- 2009 Fellow, American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- 2010 Robbins Distinguished Educator Award, American Society of Investigative Pathology
- 2011-13 President, Federation of Clinical Immunology Societies
- 2017 Lifetime Achievement in Mentoring Award, UCSF
- 2021 Gold-Headed Cane Award, American Society of Investigative Pathology