Steve Miller, MD, PhD
Laboratory Medicine, Box 0100
185 Berry Street, Suite 290
San Francisco, CA 94143
I am interested in the use of molecular methods for diagnosis and monitoring of clinical infectious disease, particularly in immunocompromised and transplant patients. Conventional clinical testing often is unable to identify pathogens of interest in patient samples, and my research aims to develop methods to better identify infectious agents, which could improve patient care and public health.
Collaborative projects are in progress evaluating metagenomic next-generation sequencing (mNGS) assays for microbial identification of viral, bacterial, fungal and parasitic pathogens for CNS, blood and respiratory samples. We are developing targeted assays to detect the most common agents of bloodstream, respiratory and diarrheal disease, as well as potential agents of bioterrorism and emerging infectious disease. We are validating and analyzing the clinical utility of mNGS for detection of pathogens causing severe illness for public health investigations, clinical trials support, and clinical diagnostic testing.
- Miller S, Naccache SN, Samayoa E, Massacar K, Arevalo S, Federman S, Stryke D, Pham E, Fung B, Bolosky WJ, Ingebrigtsen D, Lorizio W, Paff SM, Leake JA, Pesano R, DeBiasi RL, Dominguez SR, Chiu CY. Laboratory validation of a clinical metagenomic sequencing assay for pathogen detection in cerebrospinal fluid. Genome Research 2019; in press.
- Wilson MR, Sample HA, Zorn KC, Arevalo S, Yu G, Neuhaus J, Federman S, Stryke D, Briggs B, Langelier C, Berger A, Douglas V, Josephson SA, Chow FC, Fulton BD, DeRisi JL, Gelfand JM, Naccache SN, Bender J, Bard JD, Murkey J, Carlson M, Vespa PM, Vijayan T, Allyn PR, Campeau S, Humphries RM, Klausner JD, Ganzon CD, Memar F, Ocampo NA, Zimmermann LL, Cohen SH, Polage CR, DeBiasi RL, Haller B, Dallas R, Maron G, Hayden R, Messacar K, Dominguez SR, Miller S, Chiu CY. Clinical metagenomic sequencing for diagnosis of meningitis and encephalitis. New England Journal of Medicine 2019; in press.
- Baud MO, Vitt JR, Robbins NM, Wabl R, Wilson MR, Chow FC, Gelfand JM, Josephson A, Miller S. Pleocytosis is not fully responsible for low cerebrospinal fluid glucose in meningitis. Neuroimmunology and Neuroinflammation 2018;5:e425.
- Schlaberg R, Chiu CY, Miller S, Procop GW, Weinstock G. Validation of metagenomic next-generation sequencing tests for universal pathogen detection. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine 2017;141:776-786.
- Greninger AL, Streithorst J, Golden JA, Chiu CY, Miller S. Complete genome sequence of sequential Pandoraea apista isolates from the same cystic fibrosis patient supports a model of chronic colonization with in vivo strain evolution over time. Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease 2017;87:1-6.
- 2006: Paul E. Strandjord Young Investigator Award
- 2006-2007: College of American Pathologists Foundation Scholar