Jonathan H. Esensten, MD, PhD
- Affiliate investigator, Gladstone Institutes
- Member, UCSF Regulatory T Cell Manufacturing Group
- Associate Medical Director, HICTF and GMP Facility
- Associate Program Director, Herbert Perkins Cellular Therapy and Transfusion Medicine Fellowship
- Attending physician, Clinical Laboratory, Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital
Dr. Esensten’s research is focused on the development and manufacturing of cell and gene therapies to treat autoimmune diseases and cancer. He has directed the development and manufacturing of multiple cell and gene therapies for Phase I clinical trials. He has expertise in closed and automated bioreactor systems, quality control assay development, quality assurance for Current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP) manufacturing, and regulatory interactions with the US Food and Drug Administration.
Dr. Esensten completed his bachelor’s degree at Harvard University, and a combined MD and PhD in immunology at UCSF. He was a Leukemia & Lymphoma Society fellow from 2016 to 2019.
Currently he serves as director of the Advanced Biotherapy Center at Sheba Medical Center, Israel.
- Balcerek J, Shy BR, Putnam AL, Masiello LM, Lares A, Dekovic F, Acevedo L, Lee MR, Nguyen V, Liu W, Paruthiyil S, Xu J, Leinbach AS, Bluestone JA, Tang Q, Esensten JH. Polyclonal Regulatory T Cell Manufacturing Under cGMP: A Decade of Experience. Front Immunol. 2021; 12:744763. PMID: 34867967. PMCID: PMC8636860
- Balcerek J, Trejo E, Levine K; Couey P, Kornberg Z, Rogine C, Young C, Li, PJ, Shy BR, Taylor JE, Bakhtary S, Friedlander T, Lynch K, Bern C, Esensten JH. Hospital-Based Donor Recruitment and Pre-Donation Serologic Testing for COVID-19 Convalescent Plasma. Am J Clin Pathol. 2021 Jan 5:aqaa268. doi: 10.1093/ajcp/aqaa268. Online ahead of print. PMID: 33399201
- Esensten JH, Muller YD, Bluestone JA, Tang Q. Regulatory T cell therapy for autoimmune and autoinflammatory diseases: the next frontier. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2018 Oct 24. PMID: 30367909
- 2016 Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Fellow Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- 2013 Krevans Award in Laboratory Medicine San Francisco General Hospital
- 2012 Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society University of California, San Francisco