Linda Ferrell, MD
Research and Clinical Interests
My interests are primarily liver pathology, with emphasis on liver tumors, particularly well-differentiated hepatocellular tumors (including hepatocellular adenoma variants and focal nodular hyperplasia) and vascular lesions. I have also been involved with the NASH CRN study of fatty liver (NIDDK/NIH consortium), and my studies on liver pathology in recurrent hepatitis C after transplantation and on the diagnosis of dysplastic nodules have been recognized internationally as leading papers on these topics. I also continue to be involved in evaluations and reviews of benign liver tumors in coordination with a international group of liver pathologists. Our current ongoing studies include characterizations of staining patterns in HCC, hepatocellular adenoma variants, focal nodular hyperplasia-like lesions, and vascular tumors and malformations in the liver.
- Liver Pathology, Consultant Pathology Series, Kakar S and Ferrell LD (eds), Demos Medical Publishers, 2011.
- MacSween’s Pathology of the Liver, Burt AD, Portmann BC and Ferrell LD (eds), 5th Ed, Elsevier, Edinburgh, 2006, and 6th edition 2012; 7th edition in preparation.
- Kim GE, Thung SN, Tsui WMS, Ferrell LD. Hepatic cavernous hemangioma: underrecognized associated histologic features. Liver Int’l, 26:334-38, 2006.
- Bioulac-Sage P, Balabaud C, Bedossa P, Scoazec, JY, Chiche L, Dhillon AP, Ferrell L, Paradis V, Roskams T, Vilgrain V, Wanless IR, Zucman-Rossi J and members of the Laennec and Elves groups. Pathological diagnosis of liver cell adenoma and focal nodular hyperplasia: Bordeaux update. Journal of Hepatology 46(3): 521-527, 2007.
- Ferrell L, Greenberg M. Special Stains can distinguish hepatic necrosis with regenerative nodules from cirrhosis Liver International27:681-686, 2007.
- Fenton H, Torbenson M, Vivekanandan P, Yeh M, Hart J, and Ferrell L. Marked iron accumulation in liver explants in the absence of major gene defects of hereditary hemochromatosis: a risk factor for cardiac failure. Transplantation, 187(8): 1256-1260, 2009.
- Kakar S, Chen X, Ho C, Burgart LJ, Adeyi O, Jain D, Sahai V, Ferrell LD. Chromosomal abnormalities determined by comparative genomic hybridization are helpful in the diagnosis of atypical hepatocellular neoplasms. Histopathology 55:197-205, 2009.
- Jakate S, Yabes A, Guisto D, Naini B, Lassman C, Yeh M, Ferrell LD. Diffuse Cirrhosis-like Hepatocellular Carcinoma: a Clinically and Radiographically Undetected Variant Mimicking Cirrhosis, Amer J Surg Pathol 34(7):935-41, 2010.
- Gill RM, Belt P, Wilson L, Bass NM, Ferrell LD. Centrizonal Arteries and Microvessels in Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis. Am J Surg Pathol; 35(9):1400-1404, 2011.
- Evason KJ, Grenert JP, Ferrell LD, Kakar S. Atypical hepatocellular adenoma-like neoplasms with β-catenin activation show cytogenetic alterations similar to well-differentiated hepatocellular carcinomas. Human Pathol 44(5):750-8, 2013.
- Krings G, Can B, and Ferrell L. Altered Hepatic Vascular and Lobular Organization near Centrizonal Scars in Chronic Venous Outflow Obstruction. Amer J Surg Pathol, 38(2):205-14, 2014.
- Shafizadeh N, Genrich G, Ferrell L, Kakar S. Hepatocellular Adenomas in a Large Community Population 2000-2010: Reclassification per Current WHO Classification and Results of Long-Term Follow-Up. Human Pathology 45(5):976-83, 2014.
- Joseph NM, Ferrell LF, Jain D, Torbenson M, Wu T-T, Yeh MM, Kakar S. Diagnostic Utility and Limitations of Glutamine Synthetase and Serum Amyloid Associated Protein Immunohistochemistry in the distinction of Focal Nodular Hyperplasia and Inflammatory/Telangiectatic Hepatic Adenoma. Modern Pathology 27(1):62-72, 2014.
- Kakar S, Grenert JP, Paradis V, Pote N, Jakate S, Ferrell LD. Hepatocellular carcinoma arising in adenoma: similar immunohistochemical and cytogenetic features in adenoma and hepatocellular carcinoma portions of the tumor. Mod Pathol. 27(11):1499-509, 2014.
- Zhao L, Hosseini M, Wilcox R, Liu Q, Crook T, Taxy JB, Ferrell L, Hart J. Segmental Cholangiectasia Clinically Worrisome for Intrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma: Comparison with Recurrent Pyogenic Cholangitis. Human Pathology 46(3):426-33, 2015.
- Stueck AE, Zhenhong Q, Huang MY, Camprecios G, Ferrell LD, Thung SN. Hepatocellular carcinoma arising in HNF-1a-mutated adenoma in a 23-year-old woman with maturity-onset diabetes of the young: a case report. Sem Liver Dis 35(4): 444-449, 2015.
- Gill R, Buelow B, Mather C, Joseph N, Alves V, Brunt E, Liu T, Makhlouf H, Marginean C, Nalbantoglu I, Sempoux C, Snover D, Thung S, Yeh, M, and Ferrell L. Small Vessel Hepatic Neoplasm, a rare infiltrative vascular neoplasm of uncertain malignant potential. Hum Pathol. 2016, 10.1016/j.humpath.2016.03.018.
- Cho SJ, Ferrell LD, Gill RM. Expression of liver fatty acid binding protein in hepatocellular carcinoma. Hum Pathol 50:135-9, 2016.
- Yeh, MM, Belt P, Brunt EM, Kowdley K, Unalp A, Wilson LA, and Ferrell L. Aciophil bodies in nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Human Pathol, 2016 Feb 1. pii: S0046-8177(16)00033-2. doi: 10.1016/j.humpath.2016.01.001. [Epub ahead of print].
- Quaglia A, Alves V, Balabaud C, Bhathal P, Bioulac-Sage P, Crawford J, Dhillon A, Ferrell L, Guido M, Hytiroglou M, Nakanuma Y, Paradis V, Snover D, Theise N, Thung S, Tsui W, vanLeeuwen D. Role of aetiology in the progression, regression, and parenchymal remodelling of liver disease: implications for liver biopsy interpretation. Histopathol 2016 Feb 26. doi: 10.1111/his.12957. [Epub ahead of print].
- International Liver Pathology Study Group member
- Co-Editor, Pathology of the Liver, Burt AD, Portmann BC, Ferrell LD (eds) 5th and 6th editions, 7th edition in preparation
- UCSF teaching awards, 10 total, for resident and medical student teaching
- Numerous invited lectureships and visiting professorships
- 2008 Gold Headed Cane Award
- 2008-09 Hans Popper Hepatopathology President
- 2012-13 President of US and Canadian Academy of Pathology
- 2015 Mostofi Award for service to US and Canadian Academy of Pathology
- 2016 Harvey Goldman Master Teacher Award, US and Canadian Academy of Pathology
- Professor Emerita
- Surgical Pathology
Liver & GI Pathology
- See UCSF Directory
- Linda Ferrell, MD
- Pathology, Box 0102
- 505 Parnassus Avenue, Suite M-590
- San Francisco, CA 94143
Other UCSF Organizational Association(s)
- UCSF Cancer Center
- Mt. Zion
- Veterans Administration
- SF General