Yunn-Yi Chen, MD, PhD
Research and Clinical Interests
My interests are in diagnostic surgical pathology, in particular, breast, GI, and liver pathology. One of my goals is to use the results from genetic studies to refine the criteria for pathologic diagnosis. Most of my research activity is as part of a collaborative team of scientists and clinicians interested in study early breast cancer. We are studying the molecular and genetic pathways in breast cancer especially those related to lobular carcinoma. Another area of active research is MRI and pathologic correlation in evaluating breast cancer.
- Chen, YY, Hwang, ES, Roy, R, DeVries, S, Anderson, J, Wa, C, Fitzgibbons, P, Jacobs, T, MacGrogan, G, Peterse, H, Vincent-Salomon, Schnitt, SJ, Waldman, FM (2009). Genetic and phenotypic characteristics of pleomorphic lobular carcinoma in situ of the breast. Am J Surg Pathol 33:1683-94.
- Chen, YY, DeVries, S, Anderson, J, Lessing J, Swain, R, Chin, K, Shim, V, Esserman, LJ, Waldman, FM, and Hwang, ES (2009). Pathologic and biologic response to preoperative endocrine therapy in patients with ER-positive ductal carcinoma in situ. BMC Cancer 9:285-38.
- Rabban, JT, Glidden, D, Kwan, M, and Chen, YY (2009). Pure and predominantly pure intralymphatic breast carcinoma following neoadjuvant chemotherapy: an unusual and adverse pattern of residual disease. Am J Surg Pathol;33:256-263.
- Esserman, LJ, Berry, DA, Cheang, MC, Yau, C, Perou, CM, Carey, L, Demichele, A, Gray, JW, Conway-Dorsey, K, Lenburg, ME, Buxton, MB, Davis, SE, Van't Veer, LJ, Hudis, C, Chin, K, Wolf, D, Krontiras, H, Montgomery, L, Tripathy, D, Lehman, C, Liu, MC, Olopade, OI, Rugo, HS, Carpenter, JT, Livasy, C, Dressler, L, Chhieng, D, Singh, B, Mies, C, Rabban, J, Chen YY, Giri, D, Au, A, Hylton, N; The I-SPY 1 TRIAL Investigators (2012). Chemotherapy response and recurrence-free survival in neoadjuvant breast cancer depends on biomarker profiles: results from the I-SPY 1 TRIAL (CALGB 150007/150012; ACRIN 6657). Breast Cancer Res Treat 132:1049-1062.
- Shin, SJ, Lal, A, De Vries, S, Suzuki, J, Roy, R, Hwang, ES, Schnitt, SJ, Waldman, FM, Chen, YY. Florid lobular carcinoma in situ: molecular profiling and comparison to classic lobular carcinoma in situ and pleomorphic lobular carcinoma in situ. Hum Pathol. 2013 Jun 25. [Epub ahead of print]
- Professor of Clinical Pathology, Director of Immunohistochemistry Laboratory
- Surgical Pathology
- Breast Pathology
- Phone: 415-353-1102
- Pager: 415-443-0373
- Fax: 415-353-1916
- 505 Parnassus Avenue
- Room M559, Box 0102
- San Francisco, CA 94143
- UCSF Medical Center